Friday, November 1, 2013

Proud

Why was I looking for a video like this? As an American, an African one at that, I've an idea to how difficult it is to get a full genealogy. Especially for Blacks, there are hardly any records from the slave trade, and it would be super amazing if anyone is able to trace their ancestors back to that time. I realize I may never be able to find a few of my distant ancestors from the continent of Africa, but it would be great if I could at least know which country the majority of my ancestors came from. Most of it doesn't matter because by now they're all mixed together, or with people of other countries. However, it'd be nice to have some idea to the African Culture my forefathers and mothers had. You know, to have that option to break it down another level like those of Europe and Asia. Imagine, not being able to say "I'm French/British/Irish/Norwegian/German/Polish/Italian-American" or "I'm Japanese/Chinese/ Korean/Russian/Thai/Malaysian-American." Just European. Just Asian. Just African. It does not define who we are as individuals, but it gives us some piece of history to stand on. Something, where it's not as if we're trying to find our values in a world where you're "not supposed" to "Act White." Well, how in the world can we "act black" when there is no background? There's nothing to turn to, unless I throw a dart at the continent of Africa and land among the 57 countries and do research on the area? Maybe I could just pick from the few countries slaves were taken from back int her 1600's. Or, how about this Crazy idea.... why don't I just act American?  And, seeing as how that definition is constantly changing, forever evolving, or just plain needs a face lift... I just act like myself?

First and foremost, I'm an America. We're in a giant melting pot for crying out loud. America is our home, regardless of what your ethnicity is. With it, should come the innate ability to respect people of all other countries, admire physical and mental qualities of ourselves and others, and learn to make the most with what we have. I am very proud and happy to be an American (though yes, Many things are fudged up), and I'm Just as proud to be African-American, because this subset of American culture is still a baby. Yes, the American country is still a child, only around 500 years old. Our African-American Race is less than 400 years old. As an American, I'm happy to be able to foster the spirit of acceptance and unity while still holding onto a cultural identity. However as an African American, it's important to know and realize that our culture isn't based on sticking it to "the white man," standing in the shadows of other more established cultures, booty shaking and trash talking 24/7, nor sex and bad English.... and even if it Was at any point, We are the ones who can Change it, and make it into what ever we want it to. To me the core to African-American culture is persevering through all odds, finding the good in life among the worst situations, treating others as family with respect, and Handling what needs to be done regardless of what's in the way. Yes, it may be the same for Many other cultures as well. We're all the same Human race after all. It just seems to me that many have forgotten that, or put too much emphasis on why things aren't working out for one reason or another..... Just be yourself. Strive for the best. Look out for each other. and For the Love of Cheesecake, Stop this stupid nonsense about Light vs Dark skin! We are All beautiful, regardless of shade, color, or tone.

So, I found this video. I love seeing the vast differences of the regions. I might not be able to fall back on a distinct culture of my ancestors, but I'm happy to be in a time where I can forge my own. As an American.
--------------
Written 9/15/12

No comments:

Post a Comment